Chi allows instructors to align each question in their exam with a student learning outcome. Once students complete those assessments, reports can be generated that provide a graphical output indicating student mastery towards each learning outcome.
Depending on your institution, student learning outcomes may be entered (and appropriately associated) for all general education areas as well as other program areas by an administrator. Alternately, instructors may create their own set of standards.
First, before attempting to align outcomes, you will need to request access to the outcomes. Both programmatic and general education outcomes can be assigned to a particular course. To request access to outcomes for your course, please contact your Chi Tester System Administrator.
Once you have received confirmation of access to outcomes, follow the directions below to align outcomes to specific exam questions:
- Log on to Chi Tester.
- Select the exam you wish to align and select “Manage Selected Exam”.
- On the next page under “Questions” select “Proofread and edit exam.”
- Inside the “Proofread and Edit” interface exam questions will be displayed on the left hand side. On the extreme far right of the screen, there is a small left-facing arrow. Click on it to expand the right-hand Learning Outcomes sidebar. This sidebar will display the programmatic and/or general education learning outcomes that have been assigned to your course.
- To align outcomes, first click on the + next to the outcome category title; all the learning outcomes for the selected category will be displayed.
- Select the question you wish to align; the information from that question will display in the center section of the page.
- Select the learning outcome you wish to align to that question and click “Align to Question”.
- Repeat the process for the current question to align more than one outcome; when you have made all alignments select ‘Save Changes’ at the top of the screen.
- Select the next question for alignment and repeat the process.
Viewing Standards Reports
Once you have aligned your test questions and you have student data recorded within ChiTester, you can run reports to see student achievement for any of your learning outcomes across a number of different tests. Reports can be generated as .csv files containing crosstab information showing percent correct or as bar charts
representing the information graphically.
Once you have student results from your tests, follow the directions below to generate reports:
- Log on to ChiTester.
- Select the ‘Standards’ tab.
- The standards you have access to or have aligned to your exams will be displayed. Select the set of standards for which you are interested in building a report.
- To the right of the learning outcomes selection area, click on the button labeled ‘View Reports’.
- Select the specific learning outcome(s) you would like to build a report for and push the ‘Next’ button at the bottom of the page.
- Select Tests’ to the right of the page. More than one learning outcome may be selected at a time.
- Select the tests for which you would like to display learning outcome results. Push the ‘Next’ button at the bottom of the screen.
- Select ‘Export’ on the right of the page. More than one test may be selected.
- Select whether you would like to see a graphical bar chart representation of the data or download the data to a .csv file. Select ‘Run Report’.